In case you were on some kind of self-imposed social media hiatus last weekend (early, tech-centered Lent ritual?), you're probably aware of a little music festival called Coachella that comes around this time of year like a bass-thumping, hashtag-happy harbinger of Spring.
The festival's first weekend (Fri/11 through Sun/13) wasn't short on memorable moments: Solange bringing big sister Beyonce onstage for a choreographed dance routine on Saturday; Arcade Fire's Win Butler putting the festival grounds' VIP section and increasingly moneyed atmosphere on blast — before being joined by Debbie Harry, Pharrell and his hat seemingly welcoming the years 1998 through 2002 onstage on Sunday, by way of guests Gwen Stefani, Nelly, and Snoop Dogg. Then again, we hear OutKast's reunion was met with an underwhelming response from the audience — we'll have to wait for BottleRock Napa in May to find out for ourselves if that's on them, or had more to do with an overheated, EDM-leaning crowd.
As is often the case with big festivals like this one, a lot of the best sets came from smaller acts whose names you're not likely to see in the tabloids anytime soon. We sent photographer Eric Lynch to capture some impressions of everyone's favorite hot, dusty, celebrity-filled, dance-until-you-can't-feel-your-feet-oh-wait-maybe-that's-the-drugs party, and boy did he deliver. Check 'em out, and feel free to send us your own snaps and stories if you've got something cool to share: email@example.com.
Most Commented On
- Bizzzzzzz.... - July 25, 2014
- Marcos is just pissed that - July 25, 2014
- You honestly believe that? - July 25, 2014
- PY, you're up early today! - July 25, 2014
- soccercomplex - July 25, 2014
- Say what? Maybe you should be - July 25, 2014
- The US government is morally bankrupt - July 25, 2014
- the heat in Walnut Creek - July 25, 2014
- Troll, why do you hate America? - July 25, 2014
- Hey, just because she is a Jewish "writer", it does not follow - July 25, 2014